Saturday, September 1, 2012

Vermont Institute of Contemporary Art and more - Chester, VT




When putting together an adventure day trip, it is fun to try to combine several totally unrelated activities. In this case, the primary activity was to visit the newly opened Vermont Institute of Contemporary Arts  in Chester, VT. Chester is kind of an artsy community and I wondered what the VICA would be like.

I found the VICA to be a bit smaller than I anticipated, but adequate. I enjoyed the show that they had put together, but it didn't exactly blow me away. I got on the mailing list to keep abreast of future events. It would be interesting to see if VICA could make the connections necessary to attract top notch events.

Fortunately, Chester is an interesting town. Just down the street from VICA was a funky antique store. It had everything from art deco lamps to huge teddy bears to taxidermy.





The antique shop was much larger than I had expected ... it had dozens of nooks and crannies to explore. So much so that I was getting tired and was as grumpy as an old bear.








There were numerous stuffed animals among the items in the shop. Little did I realize that the buffalo head on the wall was a harbinger of things to come.












After the antique shop, we headed for the Blue Moon Cafe. A neighbor had recommended that we head there for lunch if we got a chance. The menu was tempting, but it was too early for lunch. It wasn't too early, however, for fresh scones ... they were incredible!














It is surprising how often you go one place only to stumble onto something else you never expected.  In the back of the Blue Moon was a new sculpture studio. I recognized the work on display as belonging to an artist who had won first place at the Grafton Art Show the year before. The studio was a combination of sculpture, painting and forge work.






Did I mention harbingers earlier?  On the way home, we noticed this sign.





As a final aspect of of today's adventure, we diverted off of Route 30 to the Peaked Mountain Bison Farm.













Typical adventure ... interesting things to see and do ... and a lot of BULL!



No comments:

Post a Comment