Friday, September 14, 2012

Strolling Rattlesnake Gutter Road - Leverett, MA

May 18, 2012

It was time for another adventure. I can't tell you how excited Anne was when I told her what I had in mind.  The game plan was simple. I told her that we would go to see a big rock,  a big hole in the ground, and take a stroll on rattlesnake road. I couldn't quite hear her reply, but I am pretty sure she said "Let's go!"



Breakfast is so important when heading out for an adventure. For me, that meant a hot dog and coffee at the Box Car diner in Erving.











First stop was Wawbeck Rock in Warwick. As I promised, it was a huge glacial boulder on Hastings Pond Road. Apparently, this rock was personally signed by God. We waited around for about a half hour to see if it would levitate. It didn't. I guess when God signs off on a rock she is through with it.









We had had our fill of the big rock so we headed for Morse's Corner. My understanding was that we would find a big hole there ... you might say a "ravine".  To get to the actual ravine, we would have to hike a closed road for about a half mile. We wondered aloud how it got its name - Rattlesnake Gutter Road.  To tell the truth, I would have driven the entire way just to walk on this road ... just because of the name. There is an incredible ravine carved out by glaciers. The ravine was really cool.




We found this small stacking on the large boulders of the ravine.
















Almost missed this on the side of the steep walls of the ravine. Pucker up!













Why did we go there? All it took to peak my interest was the name of the road ... Rattlesnake Gutter Road.
















Of course, there was a beautiful stream and bridge as well.











Clearly, the connecting thread in this adventure was granite. We found the huge granite rock. We found the ravine carved into the granite ledges. We found the granite lips. And we found this!














And this!









We finished the day with visit to Annie's Nursery in Amherst. They have the absolute coolest flower pots and garden sculptures there. For sale there are large, lopsided garden sculptures with spaceman-like heads. They are perfectly bizarre. Just wish I could afford one for our gardens. We go there every spring.






Adventure builds up big appetites ... which I took care of with a Mt. Toby Dog on the way home.  A two hot dog day is always a great day.






No comments:

Post a Comment