Sunday, September 2, 2012

In Search of the Masters - Manchester & Rutland, VT


March 9, 2012

One day I realized that I needed an art fix. Not just any art ... I needed the Masters. There was not enough time to fly to Paris and go to the Louvre. There was not enough time to fly to Madrid and head for the Prado. We made a beeline to Rutland, VT and the Chaffee Art Gallery.



The Chaffee Gallery is a small gallery. It's claim to fame I guess is that it displays the work of Sabra Fields. That, in and of itself, is reason enough to go. On this visit, we also found other works that we enjoyed. But ... we did not find the Masters.











We left Rutland and headed south. A brief stopover at J.K. Adams Woodworking broke the monotony of the drive. Adams is a browser's delight. We checked out the woodworking shop from the observation decks. Then, on to Manchester.







                     

                  

I hungered for art ... for my Masters! 
However, I hungered more for a Hound Dog.



Surely I would find my Masters at the Southern Vermont Art Center. Right up front I can say that it is really not my kind of art ... pretty traditional stuff. There were moments ... but not the Masters I sought.



Have you ever sought in vain ... searched and searched... but found only disappointment? We finished our day at a restaurant (I don't even recall the name) which served the now closed Laney's ribs. They were not the same.  No more the same than the art we had seen today being the same as the Masters. The mind ... more specifically, the memory ... is a strange and wonderful thing. Sometime during our adventure, I had taken one additional picture. I have no idea when or where during the day that I took it. It was the most important picture of the day.

                       

At last ...

The Masters



No comments:

Post a Comment