Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Fresh Air Kids

For years now, Anne and I have participated in the Fresh Air Program. More exactly, a program called, One  Last Breath in which we host a visit each summer for underprivileged SSC's (Southern Senior Citizens). We take these urchins into our home and introduce them to the modern world … and as best we can, how to live in such a world with grace and sophistication. We're not miracle workers and we know our efforts to be ephemeral at best. All too soon, they will be heading home … belching their delight at their roast possum dinners and spitting black juice into the coke bottle just to the left of their sweet tea glass at the table. But, for one brief moment … there'll be no foot washing at the table … babies won't be named Bubba … rattling ice won't announce the need for mo' tea, and toothpicks will disappear from the school pictures of elementary children. For one brief moment, they will be high society … just like us.



Come with us now … come with us as we cast aside the fig leaves hiding our loins … as we throw open the gates of Eden… as we step boldly from the edge of the flat world of the past and into the serpents' abode north of the Mason-Dixon.


                 

Say hello to the New Stone Age. Come with us now for nine days in Vermont.



Walk toward the light



… and don't look back!



Lou Lou, Suzy Que, and Granny Pee Pee were due to arrive late in the day on Friday. Anne and I, realizing the seriousness of the this particular case, cancelled our well-deserved respite hobnobbing with Hudson Valley elite, and rushed home to put the valuables on a higher shelf before our guests arrived. Like hound dogs on a scent, they raced at exactly the speed limit to overtake us … we could feel the hot breath on the napes of our necks and the smell of the Vidalias on their hot dogs filled our nostrils. Stopping only to pick up pizza (better a slow transition to organic food), we managed to beat them home. They arrived, accents in tack, seemingly no worst for their epic ride.




We wasted no time unloading the car  and getting down to basics of their visit. We fed them and I popped in one of my favorite movie choices for their viewing pleasure. Guess I did not realize just how tired they were. No sooner had I started the movie than everyone, but me, drifted off to bed. 


Saturday morning, I was ready to go. Anne and I disagreed significantly on how much rest our guests would need to recoup from the long drive. We compromised on a modified version of my of "what we would have for them to do on their first day" tentative schedule. I hesitated to do my usual spreadsheet outlining the stay in one-half hour blocks, complete with meal suggestions. In the past, my adherence to such a plan had been likened to the behavior of a particular German leader during WWII that I don't care to mention.  By modified, I mean we took the laid back version … that is to say Anne's version. 



                  

We started the day with a little Vermont B&B style breakfast of bacon, fruit, zucchini bread and boiled eggs. Naturally, I marbled the eggs with blue to match the tablecloth.  


Our first day would be a transition day. Laid back. We started with a trip to the farmers market in Brattleboro. Here, they could begin to understand just where they were. There were foods to sample … but not so many as to set off a feeding frenzy like the one we experienced the year before at Grafton Cheese. A healthy dose of all things organic. Hairy pits and legs for all genders and plenty of tye-dye.

We even had  our farmer friends do up a fresh batch of garlic spread and make up a fake name for it. They called it "Scapes" and told our guests that it was made from special herbs. In reality, it was just some weed tops the farmers had put in a basket at their stall for a joke. They later told us the name was a takeoff on "Escapes" - our guest having escaped form Eden.  They even convinced our guest to to plunge their hands into the basket of weeds like it was a tradition … like rubbing the boar's nose in Athens. Our farmer friends are quite the jokesters. 








After the market, it was back to Williamsville and the river. Peyton told us that her only complaint last year was that we did not spend enough time hanging out on the river. Guess we don't realize how nice it is to do that sometimes … just to used to it being there. Hit me with a 2x4 though and I wake up … so we moseyed on down to the river!

Lee Anne and David dropped by and I suppose we were having a good time even though we were resting. We were having a good time or some kind of a hissy fit because everyone kept howling and laughing. Personally, I wouldn't rule out getting all liquored up. Spent most of the afternoon there, so by dinner everybody was pretty darned happy.

















Lou and I decided to paddle a bit before dinner and took off for Sunset Lake.  I cannot remember when it was so still there. The lake was like one huge mirror. No sign of the loons that night, but it was a great paddle. Finished up a wonderful day with steaks on the grill.

Alas, movie night is not working. They are running for the covers again.  I know six year olds who stay up later.


Peyton loves flea markets and we set aside Sunday for the Hadley flea market. She did us the courtesy of hanging out with us for a few minutes, but then she was off like a shot to do her thing. She is definitely focused, but always finds good stuff.

Even if you don't find any grand treasures, the flea market is a great place to people watch. On a good day, it gives Walmart a run for the money as to strange people.






Another compromise set the agenda for the afternoon. For me, Amanouz in Northampton for a Mediterranean breakfast. For everyone else, shopping in Faces, the jewelry shop and the wine shop. I use the slower pace of shopping  to harass Lou unmercifully.  What I did not anticipate was that he would fight back with dirty tactics. To torture me, he took us to Yankee Candle and later to Kringle Candle. Somehow, I will get him back.









Our plan was to eat dinner at home, so while others sat around and admired their candles, I fished Sunset awhile before we ate. I can only assume that everyone else must have been overcome by candle fumes for I was the only one at the Bruce Film Fest.



Monday, we decided to do a relaxing restful day … but I didn't realize we were tired. Nevertheless, we chose Woodford State Park for swimming, kayaking and picnicking … and some chair sitting. Woodford is a beautiful lake and is never crowded. We arrived and were able to get a picnic table right next to the water. Once we unloaded and set out the goodies on the table, Lou and I jumped in the kayaks for a paddle. Lou was quite the sight in his pink life vest and Aussie hat.











I don't know what you may have heard. It was not my fault. I am innocent. It all started with the loon. While we watched it our kayaks drifted together. Lou was trying to push us apart and I reached out to help. I sorta shoved his kayak with my paddle and his weight shifted. Then, a miracle happened! On the way over … as the kayak turned upside down … as Lou's face rushed to meet the water …  as his eyes opened to the size of saucers … HE SAID THESE WORDS … "You turned me over!" MIRACLE!



Mayyyyyybe … but the way I remember it is … when Lou turned over his kayak, my instinct told be to save yourself first  … so you can save others. I paddled my kayak just out of Lou's reach (he was hysterical) … grabbed for my camera, but wisely decided it was too risky … it might get wet. I looked over and all I saw was the bottoms of his feet as he disappeared beneath the white froth … a second look assured me that the kayak was fine and floating nearby … a sighed with relief … incredibly, before I could write down the first line of the eulogy I planned to deliver for my dear, departed friend … he popped to the surface … that pink vest had brought my Lou Lou back to me … MIRACLE ! I don't know a thing about your religious beliefs … but I tell you right now,  miracles happened that day!

                

We returned to the picnic area. I paddled behind Lou, but was unable to keep up. I managed to keep him in sight thanks to the ten foot rooster tail he was kicking up behind his kayak. He parted Woodford Lake like the Red Sea and I only had to stop once on the way back while Moses and his buddies crossed. When I finally got there, I found Lou … flat on his stomach … fists pounding the ground and legs kicking … screaming "he turned me over, he turned me over, he turned me over". There is nothing worst than a senior citizen having a temper tantrum. I had half a notion to send him to the car without his picnic lunch!



Instead, we had lunch and soon all way forgotten … especially those insinuations about me.



If you recall, I did mention earlier that one of the things we did at Woodford was to swim. Let me clear that up. Lou did go in the water, but technically … maybe not swimming. And I went in for a little while. I have to say that not everyone is used to what we call summer in Vermont.

A short drive back to Williamsville … burgers on the grill … and our day was done.


Tuesday arrived with the sun and we arose refreshed and ready for a road trip. Off we went to Squam Lake.  We couldn't check in until 3:00PM, so we headed directly to nearby Castle-in-the-Clouds, a mountaintop retreat built in the '20's. Anne and I had been there a few weeks ago, so we relaxed at the restaurant at the visitors' center.








Lou, Susan and Peyton, headed up to the Castle via the trolly. The Castle is really a treat. When they returned, we all did lunch on the deck outside the restaurant. What a view … lunch overlooking Lake Winnapausake. Fantastic.


















Next stop … Squam Lake. We checked in, and the cottage was perfect for us. It was lake time! We hauled gear and kayaks down to our dock and a great afternoon on the water. To that, add a wonderful dinner of salmon, swordfish, oyster stew, etc. at the Squam Lake Inn. Another great day. Woo woo!  Except for one itty bitty incident.

                       

I lost my ring. It had circles just like my tattoo. I loved that ring. My pinkie loved that ring! I don't care what the others say. I did not perseverate of the lost of that ring … I took it like a man!




The following morning, we headed for Mount Washington. We convinced Lou to make the drive to the top himself. He seriously regretted that decision for the first couple of miles, but got in the grove quickly. It was necessary to point out to him however that he was speeding on several occasions … one    more time and I would have been forced to make a citizen's arrest. 





                     

Unbelievable views on the way up. We stopped frequently and like all good tourists tried to take at least ten pictures of the same thing at every stop.  Loved it. 


In the tourist handbook, it clearly says you have to take a picture at the very top of any mountain you climb. It is the law.













It had been a full day at Mount Washington. By the time we got back to Squam Lake, the weather had worsened … so we relaxed in the cottage. Dinner that night was at Walters' Basin and Pub, a second great restaurant in the area. Fish and chips, short ribs, wings, mussels, trout and lobster ravioli overflowed our table. No, we are not on a diet!

Nasty rumors have been circulating that perhaps we are getting a bit old … that we can't cut the mustard! Just because we geared down for the next two days is no indication that we are getting old.

The next two days were great … even if they weren't action packed.

Day One, we stopped at Harrisville at the yarn shop and specifically to enjoy the great general store there . River time filled the afternoon and shrimp creole filled our bellies for dinner.








Day Two, July 4th, dawned rainy. We did shopping in Bratt, and at Grafton Cheese … once home … boiled lobster. You call that getting old?

                  



Saturday would be a full day, starting with the Londonderry farmers' market. Anne and I had been there before and really enjoyed it. Today, we got lucky … turns out Londonderry was having their 4th of July parade on Saturday as well.











We spent the morning at the market and headed home in time to get ready for the bonfire and cookout that night … our Barbie-cue.






















               


One last day … we squeezed in the Wilmington flea market and bought enough items to potentially overflow Lou's car for the drive home.

We bagged and packed what we could during the afternoon and worried about how to fit the rest the next morning. The Marina for dinner completed our night.

























The plan for Monday was up at 6:00AM out by 7:00AM for the 12 hour drive.  I got up at 4:45AM to prepare one last indignity.  Threw together some scrambled egg tortillas with fruit and coffee to send them on their way.  The indignity … they had to wear the hats!


When I think about it … there was so much more … beyond the portal













                




                     




 Wow!

































No comments:

Post a Comment