Friday, June 13, 2014

The Fells - Lake Sunapee, NH



June 12, 2014

I woke up early to the sound of rain on the roof of our Little Squam Lake cottage. As predicted, the promised cold temperatures and rain had materialized. No way, would Anne agree to kayak in this kind of weather. It was 6:30AM. I decided to don my rain suit and fish a while regardless of what the weather was doing. I thought to myself, "WWHFD?" That is, "What  would Henry Fonda do?"

Let me begin by saying that nowhere in the movie, On Golden Pond, was it raining or cold. Henry Fonda did wear a light jacket every now and then but that is an old age thing. However, if I am nothing, I am determined. I headed out onto the lake in a steady rain and 50 degrees. I have made better decisions in the past. Alas, I caught no fish. Funny, there was not a boat nor another fisherman anywhere in sight. Silly me, I forgot to pack my mittens and my hands did get somewhat cold. Better sense warned me not to pick my nose for fear that my finger would be like a tongue on a flagpole and I would be found eventually, floating on the lake with my pinkie shoved up my nostril and frozen solid. When I got back to our cozy cottage, Anne was hunkered down in a pile of blankets, heater running and leisurely reading.When I came in, she burst into laughter. She did not say, "Oh poor baby!". She did not say, "Are you ok sugar bumpkins?" She did not call 911. Most of all, she did not stop laughing.

I packed the car while I was thawing and was soon ready to head out for the day's adventure. I did not have a specific plan other than cruising by Newfound Lake and Lake Sunapee while keeping a watchful eye out for other interesting things to do on the way home. Unfortunately, not having a plan ( like saying we have to be on the road by 9:00AM ), put Anne in her retirement mode, result being that we were ready to leave by 11:00AM.

This region of the state is surprisingly undeveloped and where it is developed, is characterized by heavy  congestion around any major lake and business development in a strip mall style. We explored the lake areas, but found very little in the way of things to stop and see. As we approached the Lake Sunapee area, we passed a sign advertising a plant sale and garden tours at a place called, "The Fells". I had seen the name on the map, but had no idea what it was. What the heck … we stopped.



It turned out that the Fells was a historic preservation site. In the late 1800's, John Hays, a former secretary for Abraham Lincoln and later to be, Secretary of State under McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt, purchased about 1000 acres to build a 22-room, summer home and gardens. The house was closed, but we were able to browse the grounds and gardens, which were extensive. Also on site, was a sculpture exhibit, Art in Nature 2014, displaying the work of 20 well known New England artists.  The landscaping, use of stone walls, hidden sitting areas and gardens, and flower and shrub displays made the visit well worth the time and effort. It was definitely another great example of the gilded age mentality. 

I love the way the sculptures seem such a natural part of the landscape.






















Some were surreal, yet they seemed to belong here.


















The stone walls defined the areas as if they were gathering the beauty of the area for us to see.

I readily identified with the artist who hung rocks in trees!






















Everywhere, were passages …























And things to discover at the end of that passage …























Places to sit and contemplate …



















Places for solitude and silence …


There were portals ...



















As you passed through the portals, magical worlds were revealed …

With magical creatures …

















And quiet pools, perfect for reflection and meditation … 

















Every door promised a new delight …

























And every door delivered as promised …

Turn the corner … 




















And world burst into incredible color …



And you rest upon eagles of stone ….


And you stand in awe of nature …

























And if you are incredibly lucky … your path will lead to the secret garden you seek.

Our tour was done. 





This said … 

Fate stepped in … 

and we ate.







No comments:

Post a Comment