Sunday, July 28, 2013

Le Pique-nique Français


July 28, 2013

The last couple of days had been difficult. Our cat took a turn for the worse and we had to have it put down. Kassie had been with us for 18 years and we were devastated. We decided we needed a diversion to keep from dwelling on our loss. We decided that we needed a Retirement Adventure.  We settled on a day of kayaking and picnicking near Harrisville, NH.

My original idea was that we would do three of the ponds and lakes in the Harrisville area. I realized  from closer study of my maps that Chesham Pond was actually divided into two bodies of water. Therefore, we would only be on two ponds. We headed out early to kayak on the first of the Chesham Pond sections.

We made sure that we brought our funky straw hats with us. We always try to bring good hats on days that it is supposed to be sunny. I decided on the Farmer Brown look.  I realize now that my parents must not have allowed me to play dress up as a child. I will dress up at the drop of a straw hat these days and don't seem to care how stupid I look. My parents must have forgotten to talk with me about my pride as well. Anne, with a bit of persuasion, goes along. Seems like her parents must have talked to her a lot about pride and looking stupid because stupid seems to be a better fit on me.











Nevertheless, it was a beautiful day and Chesham Pond was a great place to paddle. Even though we were just kayaking, I decided to carry a couple of fishing rods along ... and a few lures  ... and rod holders ... and a net ... and a stinger while I was out on the kayak. Just in case there is an emergency. I did cast a few times just to make sure I was prepared. I listen to that high-pitched squeal on the TV and radio every now and then about testing the Emergency Preparedness System. I believe in keeping at the ready.

Before I realized it, it was lunchtime. At first, I thought it was thundering, but Anne assured me that it actually was her stomach rumbling. Heading back to the launch, I assured Anne that just because there was a dam and waterfall beside the launch spot was no reason to believe that we would be swept over it  when we tried to land with our kayaks. In Anne's defense, I must say that she is still a little ticklish about boats due to that unfortunate incident with a 12-foot waterfall on the Missisquoi  River up north. In that case,  it was an unfortunate oversight on my part but we were not actually swept over the fall as much as we paddled over it.








We landed without incident and before  I knew it the kayaks and all the gear was again loaded on the vehicle. Anne was an invaluable source of inspiration and suggestion. I made a mental note to teach her some of the intricacies of kayak loading for future trips.














We soon found our way to the Harrisville General Store, one of our favorites. There was scarcely room to turn around in the store. Clearly, the secret is out! It is a great place for breakfast or lunch. For me, another cup of coffee topped my list and for Anne, iced tea. We sat back and enjoyed our beverages while we watched the crowd and waited patiently for our orders to be prepared. Sandwiches and chips would suffice and we were soon on our way to the second Chesham Pond for our special picnic. I had fished the pond a couple of days earlier and had picked out a small island there as the spot for a picnic.












Unbeknownst to Anne, I brought with us some special attire for the paddle and picnic. The theme was French ... a surprise given my dream of France declaring war on our school system the other night. For each of us, I had selected a beret, a red bandana (but I forgot mine) and horizontally striped Picassoesque shirt. Anne was agreeable if not exuberant.


It was my idea that we would savor the moment. By that, I mean that we would paddle about the pond ... Anne at a respectful distance from the bank. I, meanwhile, would paddle nearer the bank intermittently lobbing my topwater lure at each brush pile and weed patch in hopes of seducing a bass or pickerel to strike. Soon, however, a steady stream of lunch comments interrupted my concentration. The last straw was Anne's comment that she was beginning to feel nauseous due to lack of food.

We paddled directly to the island forthwith and before we knew it,  the cloth was spread, the candelabra and candles were in place and the banquet was spread before us. Lunch was served. (As an aside, I do keep a picnic spread, candelabra  and candles in my vehicle at all times for emergencies. It seems the only civilized thing to do.)















                      

Too good to be true! This was a French picnic and, wouldn't you know it ... sure enough ... I had to oui oui!



Ahhhhhhhhhh! We dined on egg salad on wheat and Mediterranean tuna salad on ciabatta. The black ants enjoyed crumbs and an occasional bite of my leg. All was forgotten about the whining about being hungry and my obsession with fishing. The sun was shining, our stomachs were full and it was  a good day to be retired.




The icing on the cake ... we discovered a blueberry bush ... full of blueberries ... a mere ten feet away. When you're living right ?????




Icing on the cake ... you tie on your favorite lure with a French knot you learned when you did crewel embroidery a zillion years ago and you catch a few fish.  When you're living right ???

When you're living right ... 

there is nothing like 

Le Pique-nique Francais!

No comments:

Post a Comment